Combo South-Makay trekking
This is yet a real unusual destination.
To start the discovery of Madagascar, you will have a short visit of the eastern rainforest at Andasibe before reaching the starting point of this extreme trek adventure.
Makay is situated about 250kms off-the-beaten track from Isalo National Park, this region is yet an unknown site for many travellers and locals alike. Makay route is composed of limestone with about 150kms long and 50kms width. This region is unique, more so due to the fact that accessibility is close to none. It is also located between the Bara and Sakalava tribes – two major warrior tribes of the Island. The grottos sheltered people who have escaped the early tribal fights and their skeletons still remain there.
The Bara tribes, who live on the eastern part of the surrounding area, give a particular importance to their zebus and can identify their herd amongst thousands of cattle. Zebu theft is quite frequent and has become a normal practice in this part of Madagascar. It has even become a tradition. Those who are following the footprints of the lost cattle to the nearby villages find it normal and tries to solve the issues in a friendly manner.
The Makay has a exceptional biodiversity interests as some species are new to scientists, whereas other are considered as misplaced as they should be found in the wet rainforest not in such dry area. During the trek, each elevation during by every few meters make quite a big difference in temperature variations.
The challenging trek in the Makay will take you throughout several natural pools and springs – grottos and mysterious forest both humid and dry sheltering several species of lemurs and birds. You will also find baobab trees in their greatest dimension.
The challenge dwells in the facts that the Elements are fully present and challenged to be faced– but with the assistance of our experts, you are not left on your own but enjoy the expedition.
Be amongst the first ones to discover this part of Madagascar.
- The wilderness and wildlife of the Makay Reserve
- The lunar landscape of Makay Reserve
- Cultural immersion inside de Bara tribes
- Endemic wildlife and biodiversity of Andasibe and Ranomafana rainforest.
- The great sceneries of the east, highlands and the southern Madagascar
- The handicrafts and mineral workshops in Antsirabe and Ambositra
- The rice fields in terrace of the Highlands
- The breathtaking landscapes of Isalo
- The Baobabs of the south amongst other typical vegetations
- The spiny forest of the southern regions
- The typical villages of different tribes
- The pristine beaches of Ifaty
- Wildlife viewing
- Cultural immersion
- Experiencing in rural life
- Meeting artisans
- Botanical exploration
- Mountaineering and camping at Andringitra
- Ifaty – optional for beach
Fly to Tulear.
Drive up-north to Isalo.
Trek into the Makay.
Trekking and exploration of the Makay – through its canyons, rivers, caves and savannah.
Head back to Beronono.
Head back to Isalo.
Full day hiking at Isalo.
Drive to Anja Reserve to spot more lemurs.
Continue to Ranomafana.
Hike in the rainforest trails of Ranomafana.
Visit of Mantadia Reserve.
Head back to Antananarivo.
End of the tour.
Tour code: #MKY003
Departure: Any day
Ease of access: Difficult
Period: April to November
- Domestic flights
Accommodation: Hotels, Lodges, tent
City of departure: Tana