The Overland Great South & Andasibe
16 days / 15 nights
More than the RN7.
This is a fantastic discovery journey from the mountainous central Highlands with its red lateritic soil and terraced rice fields to the rainforest of the Eastern slope, then to the semi-arid savannah and the canyons of the south and which ends in idyllic and wild beaches. You will be visiting national parks and reserves to admire the unique fauna and flora of Madagascar. Through this tour, you will meet several ethnic groups and get to know their cultures: the Merina’s, the Betsileo’s, the Zafimaniry, the Vezo’s, the Bara’s and the Mahafaly’s. This tour also gives the opportunity to observe several species of lemurs quite easily. You will have the opportunity the visit the Honko Mangrove Conservation and Education project particularly noted for its wetland bird diversity with the highest recorded number of species in this region (37 species), the vast majority of which are endemic to Madagascar. You may even see the endangered Humbolt’s Heron.
The Mozambique Channel is warm and almost sunny the whole year round. Beaches are most protected by coral reefs and actually safe for snorkelling and diving. At the last stage of the trip, you will discover the Spiny forest of Ifaty know for its Baobab trees, endemic birds, turtles amongst other endemic plants . Nearby Ifaty and away from the crowded areas with its pristine water and white sand beaches.
- Day 1: Antananarivo
- Day 2: Antananarivo – Andasibe [Périnet]
- Day 3: Andasibe/Mantadia National Park
- Day 4: Andasibe – Ambohibary
- Day 5: Ambohibary – Antsirabe
- Day 6: Antsirabe – Ambositra – Ranomafana
- Day 7: Ranomafana National Park
- Day 8: Ranomafana – Fianarantsoa – Sahambavy
- Day 9: Sahambavy – Fianarantsoa – Ambalavao – Tsaranoro
- Day 10: Tsaranoro Valley – Andringitra National Park
- Day 11: Andringitra – Isalo
- Day 12: Isalo National Park
- Day 13: Isalo – Zombitse – Tulear – Ifaty
- Day 14: Ifaty
- Day 15: Ifaty – Tulear – Antananarivo
- Day 16: Antananarivo
Endemic wildlife, great sceneries , minerals, endemic plants including baobabs and succulent plants, beaches.
– Wildlife viewing – Cultural immersion – Rural life – Photography – Botanical exploration – Hiking – Birdwatching – Malagasy cuisine – Snorkeling – Whales watching during the right season – Possibility of diving, sailing, fishing and kite surfing [Optional].
– Extended trekking at Andringitra National Park for trekking for more days.
– Tsimanapetsotsa National Park in the south of Anakao – Or eventurally fly to Fort Dauphin to reach the Reserve of Berenty. – The train trip to Manakara is scheduled in our program on request only.