The Backbone Route
23 days / 22 nights
Crossing Madagascar from the north most to the south was a dream for many travelers who visited Madagascar in the past. Nowadays, it is possible due to the improvement of infrastructure on the Island. You shall be traveling for more than 3000 kilometers along the backbone way of the country, crossing several villages, tribes, national parks and reserves by different means of transportation.
This concept is truly to make you experience the real Madagascar in its entire kaleidoscopic beauty.
- Diego Suarez
- Montagne d’Ambre
- Ankarana Reserve
- Nosy Be
- Ankarafantsika National Park – Ampijoroa
- Ranomafana N.P
- [optional: Train trip from Manakara]
- [Optional: Andringitra]
- Isalo N.P
- Anakao OR Ifaty
- [Optional: Tsimanapetsotsa]
– 7 national parks and reserves to visit.
– More than 120 species of birds to discover depending to the period of the year.
– More than 5 ecosystems to be discovered.
– The famous Tsingy.
– Idyllic beaches.
– Cocoa and vanilla plantations.
- Wildlife viewing inside and outside national parks and reserves
- Possibility of snorkeling, diving, wind/kite surfing
- Possiblity of caving
- Orchids spotting.
- Meeting some Malagasy tribes and discover their cultures, tasting Malagasy geniune cuisine.
- Possibility of sailing
– Nosy Be Archipelago for beaches and Island hopping trips
– Sainte Marie Island for beach vacation and humpback whales safari
– 3 days trekking Andringitra – the Gondawana Land
– 2 days for caving or birding at Tsimanapetsotsa National Park
– 3 days to Morondava through the Western Baobab Safari